With a very young population of which 58.3% are under 19 years old and 67% under 24 years old, and a fertility rate of 5.8, the Burkina Faso population doubled in 2030 with a continuation of the trend. It must be the best way to take advantage of this demographic dividend, to rise to the level of emerging countries and give new impetus to its social and economic growth.
Making the most of the demographic dividend necessarily means mastering fertility; therefore, making family planning a reality is a must for the country. The USAID-funded Evidence to Action (E2A) project contributes to family planning through its interventions in the North Central and Eastern regions. E2A builds capacity of health providers, equips health facilities with equipment, develops community demand generation activities.
Results targeted by E2A from April 2018 to April 2019
- 7 health districts covered;
- 350 site-based providers of counseling and clinical FP;
- 56 health facilities equipped to provide quality FP services;
- 675 women under 25 years of age targeted;
- 310 ASBC upgrades to support the creation of FP demand;
- 15,000 clients receiving a contraceptive method of their choice;
- 12 municipal councils informed on the links between development and mastery of fertility through FP.