U.S. Embassy to Burkina Faso
December 17, 2019
Event: Holidays in Burkina Faso provide increased risk for terrorism and criminal activity. Violent extremist organizations (VEOs) continue to plot kidnappings specifically targeting Westerners throughout Burkina Faso.
Threats posed by terrorist organizations and individuals inspired by extremist ideology exist throughout Burkina Faso. Extremists continue to focus on locations such as shopping centers, airports, hotels, clubs, restaurants, places of worship, transportation hubs, street markets, and other public venues frequented by Westerners. There is a heightened risk of kidnapping, robbery, and assault. Travelers to Burkina Faso are perceived to have gifts or large amounts of cash.
Actions to Take:
- Do not travel to Burkina Faso.
- Exercise additional vigilance throughout the holiday season and at holiday events.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Use caution when driving at night and avoid walking after dark.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Stay alert in locations frequented by tourists/Westerners.
- Keep a low profile.
U.S. Embassy Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso:
(226) 25 49 53 00
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444