All first-time passport applicants must appear in person.
You must apply for a first-time passport if you are a U.S. citizen and:
- You are 16 years of age or older and have never been issued a U.S. passport; or
- Your previous passport was issued before you were 16 years old; or
- Your previous passport was issued more than 15 years ago
You may apply for a first-time passport by submitting the following items:
- Original proof of citizenship (e.g. U.S. birth certificate, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, Certificate of Naturalization, or Certificate of Citizenship); and
- One valid form of photo identification (e.g. foreign passport, driver’s license, military ID, etc.); and
- Two passport photographs; and
- The printed Form DS-11 completed and signed or your printed application completed Online using the Online Wizard.
- Passport fee of $135 USD or equivalent in CFA.
Please do NOT sign the DS-11 application until you are asked to do so by a Consular official during your visit to the Embassy.
This service is available by appointment only. Appointments must be made online at the State Department’s Appointment System webpage. Payments are made at the time of appointment using cash or credit card. We do not accept checks.
The State Department has produced a video demonstrating how to apply in person for a U.S. passport using a DS-11 form. To view the video, visit the Department of State’s Passport Forms webpage.