If your child was born in Burkina Faso and has a possible claim to U.S. citizenship, you may apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA). A CRBA is an evidence of United States citizenship, issued to a child born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents who meet the requirements for transmitting citizenship under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). The CRBA may be used to apply for a U.S. passport and is acceptable as proof of U.S. citizenship for all legal purposes.

Note: You should apply for your child’s Consular Report of Birth Abroad as soon as possible.  Applications submitted years after your child’s birth could dramatically increase processing time, and in some cases may make it impossible to establish your child’s claim to citizenship. A CRBA cannot be issued to a child over age 18.

I – Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)

The law on transmission of U.S. citizenship

To qualify, at least one of the parents must have been a U.S. citizen on the date of the child’s birth and must meet U.S. physical presence requirements. Learn more about transmitting citizenship through the Bureau of Consular Affairs’ Acquisition of U.S.Citizenship by a Child Born Abroad page.

Application for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad

A Consular Report of Birth Abroad (commonly referred to as CRBA) is a document issued by the U.S. Embassy reflecting the birth abroad of a child who acquired U.S. citizenship at birth.

If your child has a potential claim to U.S. citizenship, the U.S. citizen parent(s) will need to submit an application for a “Consular Report of Birth of an American Citizen Abroad” before a consular officer.  If your child is eligible for a Report of Birth, a passport may be obtained at the same time for an additional fee. U.S. citizens may often transmit citizenship to their children born abroad, but the transmission requirements vary depending on when the child was born and the marital status of the U.S. citizen parent.

The application (Form DS-2029) must be submitted by a U.S. citizen parent prior to the child’s 18th birthday. We encourage parents to document their child’s citizenship as soon as possible after the birth.  A passport application for the child may be submitted at the same time.

How to schedule a CRBA appointment:

Prior to requesting an appointment at, you must:

Once the above steps have been completed, please send an email to with the subject line: “Request for CRBA appointment – [NAME OF YOUR CHILD].” Please include a scanned copy of the completed CRBA Checklist, DS-2029 form and the documents identified on page 1 of the CRBA Checklist with your appointment request. Appointments will not be granted without these scanned and completed documents.

Note: The child must be physically present at the appointment. Each child requesting a CRBA needs a separate CRBA Checklist, though you may send all the information and documentation in one email.

If the U.S. parent is not in Burkina Faso and will not be present at the appointment, the following are required from him/her:

  1. Certified copy of the biographic page of the U.S. passport.
  2. Copies of entry and exit stamps on U.S. passports and all passports in his/her possession
  3. Statement of Consent, form DS-3053, notarized by a notary public in the U.S., or by a U.S. Consular Officer at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate (if applying for the passport at the same time)

Passport Application

The Embassy encourages applicants to apply for a CRBA and passport at the same time, because the Consular Report of Birth Abroad is not a travel document.  A passport application for the same child will be accepted at the CRBA appointment (no need to make an additional appointment). Please review the requirements for Passport for Children (Under Age 16).

Picking up the Consular Report of Birth Abroad and the U.S. Passport

Approved Consular Reports of Birth Abroad and U.S. passports are usually ready for pick up two weeks following the final adjudication.

  • Transmitting Citizenship

Transmission of U.S. citizenship depends on:

  1. At least one parent having the nationality of the United States at the time of the child’s birth;
  2. The existence of a blood relationship between the child and U.S. citizen parent(s);
  3. Documentary evidence demonstrating the U.S. citizen parent(s)’ presence in the United States prior to the child’s birth, as specified in the Transmission Requirements Table .

Note: In some cases, consular officers may request DNA evidence to prove the biological relationship. If DNA evidence is requested, you will be given written instructions

Examples of Documentation

Some examples of documentary evidence which may be considered to demonstrate that physical presence requirements have been met may include (but are not limited to):

  • Wage and tax statements (W-2)
  • Academic transcripts
  • Employment records
  • Rental receipts
  • Records of honorable U.S. military service, employment with U.S. Government or certain intergovernmental international organizations; or as a dependent, unmarried child and member of the household of a parent in such service or employment (except where indicated)
  • Seaman’s book/records.
  • S. passport stamps may be considered a part of the evidence submitted, but should not be the sole documentary evidence. Drivers’ licenses do notconstitute evidence of physical presence.