Event: Investigations continue in Ouagadougou following the March 2, 2018 attacks on the French Embassy and the Chief of Staff headquarters in downtown Ouagadougou.
U.S. government personnel are prohibited from travelling around the areas of downtown Ouagadougou affected by the attacks and the U.S. Embassy recommends that children of U.S. government personnel stay home from school on Monday, March 5, 2018 while the Embassy reviews the current security situation. The Embassy will provide an update on Monday, March 5, 2018.
Actions to Take:
· Avoid the areas of the March 2, 2018 attacks in Ouagadougou (Koulouba neighborhood, areas surrounding the French Embassy and Chief of Staff Headquarters).
· Consider keeping school-age children home from school on Monday, March 5, 2018.
· Limit daytime movement in and around Ouagadougou, avoid travel after dark.
· Expect increased law enforcement presence in Ouagadougou.
· Keep a low profile.
· Stay alert in locations frequented by tourists/Westerners.
· Be aware of your surroundings.
· Monitor local media for updates.
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Burkina Faso Country Information