Security Alert – U. S. Embassy Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso (September 20, 2018)
Location: East Region
Event: In light of the recent violence in the Eastern Region by terrorist and criminal groups, the U.S. Embassy in Ouagadougou reminds U.S. citizens to maintain good security practices and monitor local news. Recent incidents include the destruction of security outposts and schools, attacks on security personnel with IEDs, and the kidnapping and killing of civilians. The Government of Burkina Faso has responded by conducting counterterrorism operations on suspected militant positions.
On September 20, the governor of the Eastern Region imposed a traffic ban on motorbikes, bicycles, and tricycles from 7pm-5am.
The U.S. Embassy has limited ability to provide emergency services in these areas. Read the full Travel Advisory for Burkina Faso.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid travel to the eastern region of Burkina Faso.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Stay alert in locations frequented by tourists/Westerners.
- Review your personal security plans.
- S. Embassy Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
(226) 25 49 53 00
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Burkina Faso Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter