Locations: East Region and Sahel Region
Event: The U.S. Embassy in Ouagadougou advises U.S. citizens to avoid travel to the Sahel Region and Komondjari, Topa, Kompienga, and Gourma provinces in the Eastern Region of Burkina Faso due to recent terrorist attacks.
Terrorist and criminal groups have targeted security and military forces, hunting and security outposts, and schools.
On October 4, the Minister of Security announced a National Gendarmerie detachment based in Inata (Soum Province) was attacked overnight by a large group of heavily armed terrorists killing one Gendarme and wounding another.
The U.S. Embassy has prohibited personal travel to, and placed restrictions on, official government travel to these provinces.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid travel to the Komondjari, Topa, Kompienga, and Gourma provinces in the Eastern Region and the Sahel Region of Burkina Faso.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Stay alert in locations frequented by tourists/Westerners.
- Review your personal security plans.
- U.S. Embassy Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
(226) 25 49 53 00
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444