Security Alert – U. S. Embassy Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso (May 23, 2018)
Event: Heightened police presence in Ouagadougou continues due to the recent counter-terrorism operation conducted on the early morning of May 22. U.S. government employees are subject to an Embassy-imposed curfew from 12:00 AM to 5AM and may not travel to the Karpala, Rayongo/Dayongo and Balkui neighborhoods in Arrondisement 11 in south-east Ouagadougou until further notice due to ongoing police activity there.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the Karpala, Rayongo/Dayongo and Balkui neighborhoods in Arrondisement 11 in south-east Ouagadougou due to ongoing police operations there.
- Approach cautiously and cooperate if stopped at a checkpoint or barricade by law enforcement in Ouagadougou.
- Limit daytime movement in and around Ouagadougou, avoid travel after dark.
- Keep a low profile.
- Avoid large crowds and demonstrations.
- Stay alert near government buildings and in locations frequented by tourists/Westerners.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Vary your routes when travelling in Ouagadougou.
- Avoid being time and place predictable.
- Monitor local media.
S. Embassy Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
(226) 25 49 53 00
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444