Event: The U.S. Embassy reminds U.S. citizens that terrorist groups continue plotting attacks in Burkina Faso and may be planning attacks over the 2021 New Year’s holiday.
As a result, the Embassy has informed its employees to avoid hotels and restaurants frequented by expatriates and Westerners over the New Year’s holiday, as these locations have historically been the target of terrorist attacks in Ouagadougou.
Terrorists may conduct attacks with little or no warning against locations in Ouagadougou including hotels frequented by Westerners.
Actions to Take:
- Continue to exercise vigilance while in Burkina Faso.
- Stay alert in locations frequented by tourists/Westerners.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Use caution when driving at night and avoid walking after dark.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile and avoid large gatherings.
- U.S. Embassy Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
(226) 25 49 53 00
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444