Event: During the holiday season security measures in Burkina Faso remain heightened due to the ongoing threat posed by terrorist organizations and individuals inspired by extremist ideology throughout Africa. Extremists continue to focus on locations such as shopping centers, airports, hotels, clubs, restaurants, places of worship, transportation hubs, street markets, and other public venues frequented by Westerners.
Media outlets recently reported the arrest of individuals associated with a terrorist cell in Mali earlier this month. According to media sources, these individuals were planning attacks in Ouagadougou, Abidjan, and Bamako during “end-of-year celebrations,” plots that may have been disrupted by the arrests.
Terrorist groups continue plotting attacks in Burkina Faso. Terrorists may conduct attacks anywhere with no warning. Please exercise particular caution during the holiday season and at holiday events.
Actions to Take:
- Exercise vigilance especially from December 25 to January 1
- Avoid travel to the Sahel (area north of and including the East-West road connecting the towns of Djibo and Dori) and the East Region (provinces of Komandjari, Tapoa, Kompienga, and Gourma), and to Ouagadougou’s Arrondissement 11.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Stay alert in locations frequented by tourists/Westerners.
- Review your personal security plans.
- U.S. Embassy Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
(226) 25 49 53 00
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Burkina Faso Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program(STEP)to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter