Location: East Region and Sahel Region
Event: Event: Terrorist and criminal groups continue plotting attacks in Burkina Faso, targeting security and military forces, hunting and security outposts, mining sites, and schools. Terrorists and criminal groups continue to attack and abduct Westerners, sometimes murdering victims. Since December 15, 2018, two Westerners have been missing and are presumed abducted and a third was kidnapped and killed.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid travel to the Komondjari, Topa, Komienga, and Gourma provinces in the Eastern Region and the Sahel Region of Burkina Faso.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates
- Stay alert in locations frequented by tourists/Westerners.
- Review your personal security plans.
- U.S. Embassy Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
(226) 25 49 53 00
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Burkina Faso Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program(STEP)to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter