Location: Burkina Faso
Event: Terrorist and criminal groups continue plotting in Burkina Faso and attacks can occur with little to no warning. Between April 26 and 29, seven out of thirteen administrative regions suffered significant security incidents, and there has been a notable increase in the number of incidents occurring outside of the restricted travel zone.
The U.S. Embassy has limited ability to provide emergency services in these areas. Read the full Travel Advisory for Burkina Faso.
Actions to Take:
- Reconsider travel in Burkina Faso and do not travel to the restricted travel zones illustrated in our Travel Advisory.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Stay alert in locations frequented by tourists/Westerners.
- Review your personal security plans.
- U.S. Embassy Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
(226) 25 49 53 00
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Burkina Faso Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program(STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter