Location: Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
Event: March 2nd marks the two-year anniversary of terrorist attacks on the French Embassy and Burkina military headquarters, as well as the three-year anniversary of the establishment of Jama’at Nusrat al-Islam wal-Muslimin (JNIM).
Security measures in Burkina Faso remain heightened due to crime and ongoing threats posed by transnational terrorist organizations and individuals inspired by extremist ideology throughout Africa.
Terrorist organizations may attempt to conduct attacks on anniversaries or other dates they deem historically significant or symbolic. Extremists continue to focus on security forces personnel and infrastructure, as well as civilians and places of gathering. This includes, but is not limited to, places of worship, schools, markets, etc.
The Travel Advisory remains at Level 4: Do not travel to Burkina Faso.
Actions to Take:
- Visit our website for Travel to High-Risk Areas.
- Stay alert in locations frequented by tourists/Westerners.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Do not physically resist any robbery attempt.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program(STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review the Crime and Safety Report for Burkina Faso.
- Prepare a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
- U.S. Embassy Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso:
(226) 25 49 53 00
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444