Location: Burkina Faso
Event: The three-year anniversary of the March 2nd attacks in Ouagadougou is tomorrow.
U.S. Embassy Ouagadougou reminds all personnel that security measures in Burkina Faso remain heightened due to crime and ongoing threats posed by transnational terrorist organizations and individuals inspired by extremist ideology throughout Africa.
Terrorist organizations may attempt to conduct attacks on anniversaries or other dates they deem historically significant or symbolic. Extremists continue to focus on security forces personnel and infrastructure, as well as civilians and places of gathering. This includes, but is not limited to, places of worship, schools, markets, restaurants, and hotels.
Actions to take:
- Maintain situational awareness.
- Take steps to mitigate the risk of becoming a victim of violence, including limiting trips to locations frequented by Westerners.
- Review your personal security plans.
- U.S. Embassy Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
(226) 25 49 53 00
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444