Location: Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
Event: Starting around August 2019, there has been an increase in reports of armed robberies in Ouagadougou. Assailants typically travel on motorcycles and appear to be hooded and work in pairs. In many instances, the use of firearms, including AK-47’s has been reported. Robberies have occurred throughout the city and can occur any time.
Actions to Take:
- Do not travel to Burkina Faso.
- If you decide to travel to Burkina Faso, avoid rural areas and exercise caution even in urban settings;
- Be aware of your surroundings;
- Maintain a low profile;
- Monitor local media for updates;
- Monitor https://twitter.com/ACLEDINFO and https://www.acleddata.com/;
- Stay alert in locations frequented by tourists/Westerners; and
- Review your personal security plans.
· U.S. Embassy Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
(226) 25 49 53 00
· State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444