An official website of the United States government

Passports for Children (Under Age 16)

All minor applicants must be present with both parents when the passport application is submitted.

If one parent cannot be present, the applying parent must present an original, notarized Form DS-3053 (Statement of Consent) from the absent parent.  Please note that the DS-3053 presented must have been notarized in the last three months.  The Consular Officer can notarize this document free of charge for American citizens.

Alternatively, the applying parent may present a death certificate or a court decree giving the parent sole, legal and physical custody over the minor.  For additional information about parental consent requirements, please review the Bureau of Consular Affairs’ Passports for Minors Under 16 webpage.

All minor passport applications must include:

  • Evidence of U.S. Citizenship (only original copies can be accepted): The minor’s most recent U.S. passport (when applicable) and the Consular Report of Birth Abroad, Naturalization Certificate, Citizenship Certificate, or the original (or certified copy) of the U.S. birth certificate; and
  • One valid form of photo identification (such as a U.S. or foreign passport, driver’s license, military ID, etc.) from each parent; and
  • Two passport photographs; and
  • A printed Form DS-11 completed and signed or your printed application completed Online using the Online Wizard.
  • Passport fee of $135 USD or the equivalent in CFA

Please do not sign the DS-11 application until you are asked to do so by a Consular official during your visit to the Embassy.

This information applies to all children under the age of 16, whether they have a previous passport or not.

This service is available by appointment only.  Appointments must be made online at the State Department’s Appointment System webpage.  Payments are made at the time of appointment using cash or credit card.  We do not accept checks.