An official website of the United States government

Passport Name Change

If you changed your name, you may have this change reflected in a new passport free of charge, provided that your name change and recent passport issuance occurred less than one year ago.

To apply for a new passport reflecting the name change, please present:

  • Your current passport; and
  • Completed form DS-5504; and
  • Two passport photographs; and
  • Legal documentation of the name change (e.g. original marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order)

For more information on changing or correcting information on your passport, please visit the Bureau of Consular Affairs’ Change or Correct a Passport webpage.

This service is available by appointment only.  Appointments must be made online at the State Department’s Appointment System webpage.