An official website of the United States government

Marriage of American Citizens

American citizens who wish to get married in Burkina Faso must contact directly the registrar office. The embassy cannot recommend a specific office.

The following documents must be submitted at the Mayor’s Office where they intend to marry:

  • A birth certificate
  • A certificate of residence
  • A prenuptial medical certificate delivered by a doctor or a nurse
  • A certificate of capacity to marry may be requested by the Mayor’s Office.  If requested, this certificate is issued by the U.S. Embassy to the U.S. citizen.  This is a notarized document and thus costs $50.00.

Other fees include various stamps as well as the rental of the hall.  Fees range from 5,000 FCFA in small town hall offices to more than 200,000 CFA at the main town hall (Mairie Centrale).

A public announcement on the upcoming marriage must be posted at the registrar’s office for a minimum period of 30 days before the marriage can be celebrated.  However, this period of 30 days can be waived or reduced in cases of special circumstance.

You can find general information on marriage overseas at the Department of State’s travel site.

Certificate of Capacity to Marry

As specified above, the Consular Section can issue a certificate of capacity to marry to Americans who intend to get married in Burkina Faso.  This document may be required by the Mayor’s office. This service is available by appointment only.  The following documents need to be presented at your appointment when applying for the certificate of capacity to marry:

  • Passport of the American
  • Passport or ID of the non-American
  • The corresponding fee for a notarial – $50.00 USD each
  • Your appointment confirmation page.