Location: Burkina Faso
Event: The Burkina Faso Ministry of Health confirmed 609 cases of COVID-19 and 39 related deaths in Burkina Faso.
The Government of Burkina Faso announced the re-opening of the markets in Ouagadougou and Bobo-Dioulasso.
The U.S. Embassy encourages American Citizens to continue social distancing as a key practice for COVID prevention. This will be difficult in some environments but is necessary to reduce the risk of infection. The CDC’s social distancing guidelines can be found here: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/social-distancing.html.
In accordance with those guidelines and best practices in the United States to manage pandemics, the Embassy continues under a maximum telework policy. Embassy staff are practicing self isolation with extremely limited excursions into public areas and are limiting social contacts at home, including with household staff.
Actions to Take:
- Call the Burkina Faso hotline at (226) 52-19-53-94 or (226) 70-95-93-27, or dial 35 35, if you feel ill and suspect you might have COVID-19.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 (https://bf.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/covid-19-information/)for information on conditions in Burkina Faso.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- U.S. Embassy Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
(226) 25 49 53 00
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444