Demonstrations are expected in Ouagadougou at Place de la Nation, on April 23, between 4:00-17:00. This demonstration may impact freedom of movement in the downtown area. It is unknown at this time how large or small the demonstration will be, and whether the authorities will issue a permit for this gathering.
Expect roadblocks or large groups of demonstrators in downtown Ouagadougou and surrounding areas. Exercise caution when in the vicinity of any large gatherings or protests. Demonstrations intended to be peaceful can quickly turn confrontational and escalate into violence. Be alert, remain aware of your surroundings, and stay informed of local media reports.
Avoid risking your safety to take photographs or videos. Attempts to take videos or photographs of demonstrations may attract attention and antagonize the crowd.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
- U.S. Embassy Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
(226) 25 49 53 00
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444