Demonstration Alert: U.S. Embassy Ouagadougou (October 6, 2022)
Event: Demonstrations have been reported in Ouagadougou on Avenue de l’Independance near Radio Television Burkina (RTB) with nearby roads blocked by participants.
The situation is fluid and may changewith little or no warning. Expect roadblocks or large groups of demonstrators in the impacted areas. Demonstrations intended to be peaceful can quickly turn confrontational and escalate into violence.
Avoid risking your safety by taking photographs or videos. Military or government officials will likely stop you and require you to delete photographs.Attempts to take videos or photographs of demonstrations may attract attention and antagonize the crowd.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the demonstration area.
- Avoid all crowds and gatherings.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Do not over rely on mapping applications such as Google Maps.
- Minimize movements during non-daylight hours to only essential activity.
- If traveling at night, travel on known routes only.
- Do not take photos or video of military vehicles, checkpoints, government facilities, or large crowds.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
- Travel in groups if possible.
- U.S. Embassy Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
(226) 25 49 53 00
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Burkina Faso Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter