Event: Demonstrations are continuing and have been reported in Ouagadougou at the below locations in the downtown and Ouaga 2000 areas:
- Place de la Nation (downtown)
- MoghoNaaba Palace (downtown)
- United Nations Circle (downtown)
- Thomas Sankara International Airport (downtown)
- Palace Hotel, Lancaster Hotel, and La Perle Restaurant (Ouaga 2000)
The situation is fluid and may suddenly change. Demonstrations may appear suddenly and without warning. Avoid or depart areas if crowds begin gathering.
Expect roadblocks or large groups of demonstrators in the impacted areas. Demonstrations intended to be peaceful can quickly turn confrontational and escalate into violence. Avoid risking your safety by taking photographs or videos. Attempts to take videos or photographs of demonstrations may attract attention and antagonize the crowd.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid demonstration areas.
- Avoid all crowds and gatherings.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings orprotests.
- Do not over rely on mapping applications such as Google Maps. If traveling at night, travel on known routes only. Minimize movements during non-daylight hours to only essential activity.
- Do not take photos or video of military vehicles, checkpoints, government facilities, or large crowds. Military or government officials will likely stop you and require you to delete photographs. Large crowds may be antagonized and turn on you.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
- Travel in groups if possible.
- U.S. Embassy Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso