Event: Demonstrations in Ouagadougou on May 6, 2022
Demonstrations are expected in Ouagadougou at Place de la Nation, on May 6, from 7:00 AM to 3:00 PM. The demonstration calls for cooperation between Russia and Burkina Faso and a revision of the country’s military agreements with France. Expect roadblocks or large groups of demonstrators in downtown Ouagadougou and surrounding areas.
A similar protest on April 23 resulted in the use of tear gas and arrests.
Demonstrations intended to be peaceful can quickly turn confrontational and escalate into violence. Avoid risking your safety to take photographs or videos. Attempts to take videos or photographs of demonstrations may attract attention and antagonize the crowd.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
- U.S. Embassy Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
(226) 25 49 53 00
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Burkina Faso Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter