Location: Burkina Faso
Event: Possible Protest Activity on July 4, 2020 / Nationwide General Strike July 8-9, 2020
Thirty-six labor unions in Burkina Faso have signed a letter to the president announcing their intent to hold a nationwide strike on July 8 and 9, 2020. In addition, unions are planning meetings on July 4 that may result in larger gatherings or protest activity. The planned strike activity is to protest taxation of civil servant benefits and allowances. Peaceful protests in March of 2020 drew tens of thousands of supporters.
Exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings. Even large gatherings intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. Be alert, remain aware of your surroundings, and stay informed of local media reports.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid large crowds.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- U.S. Embassy Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
(226) 25 49 53 00
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Burkina Faso Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program(STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter