Event: Demonstration on Route N6 this morning, July 22.
A demonstration was reported this morning on Route N6, outside of Tengandogo Hospital, in Ouagadougou. Authorities have dispersed the demonstrators. Traffic and businesses are now operating normally although police remain in the area. The Embassy has advised personnel to avoid the area for the next 24 hours.
Expect roadblocks or groups of demonstrators near the impacted area. Demonstrations intended to be peaceful can quickly turn confrontational and escalate into violence. Avoid taking photographs or videos of demonstrations as this may attract attention and antagonize the crowd.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the demonstration area.
- Avoid all crowds and gatherings.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
- Travel in groups if possible.
- U.S. Embassy Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
(226) 25 49 53 00
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444