Location: Throughout Burkina Faso
Event: Demonstrations in Burkina Faso on January 28, 2023
Calls for nationwide demonstrations on Saturday, January 28, 2023 have been reported. The demonstrations currently have no stated beginning or end time.
Expect roadblocks or large groups of demonstrators in downtown Ouagadougou and surrounding areas. Demonstrations intended to be peaceful can quickly turn confrontational and escalate into violence. Avoid taking photographs or videos of demonstrations as this may attract attention and antagonize the crowd.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the demonstration area.
- Avoid all crowds and gatherings.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
- Travel in groups if possible.
- U.S. Embassy Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444