Location: Ministry of Education, Avenue de l’Indépendance
Event: There is an ongoing protest today at the Ministry of Education on Avenue de l’Independence. A large group of teachers and supporters have gathered and are blocking a section of Avenue de l’Indépendance.
U.S. government personnel and American citizens are advised to avoid areas of demonstrations and exercise caution in the vicinity of any large gatherings or protests. Remember, even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid travel to the Komondjari, Topa, Kompienga, and Gourma provinces in the Eastern Region and the Sahel Region of Burkina Faso.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Stay alert in locations frequented by tourists/westerners.
- Review your personal security plans.
- U.S. Embassy Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
(226) 25 49 53 00
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Burkina Faso Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates