Demonstration Alert – U.S. Embassy Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso (October 1, 2018)
Location: Ministry of Education, Avenue de l’Indépendance
Event: There is a possibility of sporadic protests by area teachers today and throughout the week leading up to National Teacher’s Day on 5 October. A brief protest took place at the Ministry of Education located on Avenue de l’Indépendance. A group of approximately 100 teachers peacefully assembled at the Ministry of Education to voice concerns regarding wages and work conditions.
U.S. Government personnel and American citizens are advised to avoid areas of demonstrations. Remember, even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
- U.S. Embassy Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
(226) 25 49 53 00
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Burkina Faso Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program(STEP)to receive security updates