Location: Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
Event: Social media has revealed a call for an anti-French and pro-Transition Authority rally planned for Sunday morning November 5, 2023, beginning at 07:00 hours in Ouagadougou at Palais des Sports in the Ouaga 2000 neighborhood.
Initial assessments calculate a possible gathering of about 1,000 persons, along with possible counter protests. This demonstration may negatively impact the ability to move freely within the Ouaga 2000 area, and other possible locations in Ouagadougou.
American citizens should avoid large gatherings of people that may appear elsewhere and immediately depart the area if a large crowd is encountered. If unable to depart the area immediately:
Actions to Take:
- Maintain a low profile as much as possible.
- Avoid actions that attract attention.
- Look for a safe area to hide.
- Be on the lookout for ways to escape and take the opportunity if it appears to be a safe course of action.
- Be prepared – Ensure you have a supply of food, water, and first aid items at your home to last three days in case a situation arises requiring you to shelter-in-place. If you have a vehicle, ensure it is always at least half full of fuel.
- Know your surroundings – Be aware of what is happening around you and have a plan to get to a safe area.
Attempts to take video or photographs of demonstrations may attract attention and antagonize the crowd. Avoid risking your safety to take photographs or video.
On November 5, U.S. citizens are advised to avoid the area, limit travel in Ouagadougou, and stay informed of local media reports. Contact the Embassy at (226) 25 49 53 00 if you need immediate assistance.
- U.S. Embassy Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
(226) 25 49 53 00
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Burkina Faso Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter