Event: Demonstration expected in Ouagadougou, Monday, August 14.
A demonstration in support of the Transition Authorities is expected in Ouagadougou on the morning of Monday, August 14, starting at 8:00am. The demonstration is expected to start at Place de la Nation and plans to march toward the European Union office building on Avenue Kwame Nkrumah.
Expect roadblocks or groups of demonstrators near the impacted area. Demonstrations intended to be peaceful can quickly turn confrontational and escalate into violence. Avoid taking photographs or videos of demonstrations as this may attract attention and antagonize the crowd.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the demonstration area.
- Avoid all crowds and gatherings.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
- Travel in groups if possible.
U.S. Embassy Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
(226) 25 49 53 00
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444