Event: Demonstrations in Ouagadougou August 12, 2022
Demonstrations are expected in Ouagadougou at the French Embassy on Friday, August 12, from 08:00 to 16:00. The demonstration is organized by Mouvement M30 Naaba Wobgo and La Coalition des Patriotes Africains du Burkina Faso (COPA-BF). Burkinabe authorities have not granted a permit for this demonstration. As a result, the demonstration may relocate to the Conseil Burkinabe des Chargeurs. Expect roadblocks or large groups of demonstrators in downtown Ouagadougou and surrounding areas.
Demonstrations intended to be peaceful can quickly turn confrontational and escalate into violence. Avoid risking your safety by taking photographs or videos. Attempts to take videos or photographs of demonstrations may attract attention and antagonize the crowd.
Actions to Take:
· Avoid demonstration areas.
· Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
· Monitor local media for updates.
· Keep a low profile.
- U.S. Embassy Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
(226) 25 49 53 00 OuagaACS@state.gov
· State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
· Burkina Faso Country Information
· Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates