Event: National Day Preparations in Ouagadougou
Demonstrations originally planned for Saturday, December 10, 2022, have reportedly been modified to a press conference at a conference center in Cissin, Ouagadougou.
Ahead of the December 11 Republic Day holiday, observed December 12, 2022, roadblocks and increased security force presence have been reported near Place de la Nation in downtown Ouagadougou.
Expect roadblocks in the surrounding areas. The likelihood of a demonstration is low, but if demonstrations do occur, they can quickly turn confrontational and escalate into violence. Avoid taking photographs or videos of demonstrations as this may attract attention and antagonize the crowd.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the demonstration area.
- Avoid all crowds and gatherings.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
- Travel in groups if possible.
- U.S. Embassy Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
(226) 25 49 53 00
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444