Event: Demonstrations in Ouagadougou August 19, 2022
Demonstrations are expected in Ouagadougou at the French Embassy on Friday, August 19. As of August 18, the demonstration time is not known.
Following the demonstration on August 12, Mouvement M30 Naaba Wobgo has called for a demonstration every Friday until their demands are met. Burkinabe authorities have not granted a permit for this demonstration. Expect roadblocks or large groups of demonstrators in downtown Ouagadougou and surrounding areas.
Demonstrations intended to be peaceful can quickly turn confrontational and escalate into violence. Avoid risking your safety by taking photographs or videos. Attempts to take videos or photographs of demonstrations may attract attention and antagonize the crowd.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid demonstration areas.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
- U.S. Embassy Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
(226) 25 49 53 00
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Burkina Faso Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter