Event: Demonstrations in Ouagadougou May 20-22, 2022
Demonstrations are anticipated in Ouagadougou from May 20 to May 22. The demonstrations intend to voice opposition to the current transitional government. The location for the demonstrations is currently unconfirmed. Expect roadblocks or large groups of demonstrators in downtown Ouagadougou and surrounding areas.
Demonstrations intended to be peaceful can quickly turn confrontational and escalate into violence. Avoid risking your safety to take photographs or videos. Attempts to take videos or photographs of demonstrations may attract attention and antagonize the crowd.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid demonstration areas.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
- U.S. Embassy Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
(226) 25 49 53 00
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444