Location: Ouagadougou and Bobo Dioulasso
Event: Demonstrations in Ouagadougou and Bobo Dioulasso on October 30, 2021
Demonstrations are expected to take place in Ouagadougou, on October 30, 2021 at approximately 09:00 near the Thomas Sankara Memorial and Place de la Revolution.
Counter-protests may also spontaneously develop at other locations in Ouagadougou throughout the weekend. The protests do not have an official permit and could result in police clashes with protestors.
Demonstrators may congregate at the above two locations near the Thomas Sankara Memorial and the Place de la Revolution. Expect roadblocks or large groups of demonstrators in the vicinity of the demonstration route and surrounding areas. There may be other gatherings that occur spontaneously throughout the city.
Exercise caution when in the vicinity of any large gatherings or protests. Demonstrations intended to be peaceful can quickly turn confrontational and escalate into violence. Be alert, remain aware of your surroundings, and stay informed of local media reports.
Avoid risking your safety to take photographs or videos. Attempts to take videos or photographs of demonstrations may attract attention and antagonize the crowd.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
- U.S. Embassy Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
(226) 25 49 53 00
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Burkina Faso Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter