Location: Centre Muraz, Bobo Dioulasso
Event: Labor unions and civil society organizations are holding a demonstration in the vicinity of the Centre Muraz. Heavy police presence is also reported around the Sourou Sanou hospital. The U.S. Embassy received reports that the police used teargas to disperse the protesters.
Avoid the area.
Exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings or protests. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. Be alert, remain aware of your surroundings, and stay informed of local media reports.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid areas surrounding the Centre Muraz and the Sourou Sanou hospital.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Stay alert in locations frequented by tourists/Westerners.
- Review your personal security plans.
- U.S. Embassy Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
- (226) 25 49 53 00
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Burkina Faso Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program(STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter