Event: Three Year Anniversary of the August 13th Attack
The three-year anniversary of the August 13th attack on a popular restaurant in Ouagadougou is this Thursday.
U.S. Embassy Ouagadougou reminds all American citizens that security measures in Burkina Faso remain heightened due to crime and ongoing threats posed by transnational terrorist organizations and individuals inspired by extremist ideology throughout Africa.
Terrorist organizations may attempt to conduct attacks on anniversaries or other dates they deem historically significant or symbolic. Extremists continue to focus on security forces personnel and infrastructure, as well as civilians and places of gathering. This includes, but is not limited to, places of worship, schools, markets, restaurants, etc.
Actions to take:
- Stay aware of your surroundings and trust your instincts if something doesn’t seem right.
- Take steps to mitigate the risk of becoming a victim of violence, including limiting trips to locations frequented by Westerners.
- Review your personal security plans.
- U.S. Embassy Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
(226) 25 49 53 00
- State Department – Consular Affairs
- 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Burkina Faso Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter