Location: Burkina Faso
Event: Burkina Faso will hold general elections on Sunday, November 22, 2020. Political unrest, demonstrations, and violence in the period leading up to, during, and following the election may occur. There are a number of large political rallies scheduled in Ouagadougou and around the country in the days before the election. U.S. citizens are encouraged to exercise caution in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, and election events. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. Be alert, remain aware of your surroundings, and stay informed of local media reports.
The risk of terrorist attacks and kidnappings remains high, as terrorist organizations continue to operate throughout the country. These organizations may attempt to conduct attacks on or around election day. U.S. citizens are advised to exercise caution and additional vigilance while visiting places of worship, schools, markets, and restaurants—particularly those frequented by foreigners. There continues to be a heightened risk of kidnapping, robbery, and assault throughout Burkina Faso.
Actions to Take:
- Do not travel to Burkina Faso.
- Exercise additional vigilance throughout the election season.
- Avoid demonstrations and crowds.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Be aware of your surroundings and maintain a low profile.
- Use caution when driving at night and avoid walking after dark.
- Monitor local media for breaking events and be prepared to adjust your plans.
- Stay alert in locations frequented by tourists/Westerners.
- U.S. Embassy Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
(226) 25 49 53 00
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Would you help us improve our website
Note: This feature is strictly for feedback about your experience using the website.
All other questions and feedback will be disregarded. Thank you for your understanding.
You are visiting a website that just underwent a redesign. Please take a few moments to provide us with your valuable feedback.
Thank you for sharing your feedback!