Location: Burkina Faso
Event: Security Reminder and Upcoming Elections on 22 November 2020
As we approach the elections in Burkina Faso, the U.S. Embassy would like to take this opportunity to remind American Citizens about the importance of personal security. The risk of terrorist attacks and kidnappings remains high as terrorist organizations continue to operate throughout the country. These organizations may attempt to conduct attacks on or around the elections scheduled for 22 November 2020.
U.S. citizens are advised to exercise caution and additional vigilance while attending gathering places, including places of worship, schools, markets, and restaurants – particularly those frequented by westerners. There continues to be a heightened risk of kidnapping, robbery, and assault throughout Burkina Faso.
As the election approaches, exercise caution in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests or election events. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. Be alert, remain aware of your surroundings, and stay informed of local media reports.
Actions to Take:
- Do not travel to Burkina Faso.
- Exercise additional vigilance throughout the election season and around election events.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Use caution when driving at night and avoid walking after dark.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Stay alert in locations frequented by tourists/Westerners.
- Keep a low profile.
- U.S. Embassy Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
(226) 25 49 53 00
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Burkina Faso Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program(STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter